Every day, thousands of smart devices are added to the Internet of Things (IoT). North American households are some of the smartest in the world, and retailers aren’t far behind.
From managing supply chains to personalizing the customer experience, stores are waking up to the benefits of smart technology. But as the number of in-store devices grows, so too does the challenge of keeping track of them. This is where we can help.
Our headsets can be integrated with thousands of smart devices, allowing associates to monitor in-store technology with ease. Here’s a look at how it works, and how smart integrations can help bring order to the chaos.
Home is where the smart is
From tablets to watches, the modern world is awash with smart devices. Nowhere is this seen more clearly than in the home. North American consumers have embraced smart technology with open arms, ushering in a new era of domestic life:
- Smart devices are present in over 63 million US households– an increase of 10% since 2022
- The average American family now owns 20 smart devices
- 76% of Americans own a smart TV, and one in five have smart speakers
With high tech homes comes the expectation of high-tech stores. Where shoppers were once skeptical, they now see technology as the key to a great customer experience. 90% of consumers view in-store technology in a positive light, with 60% saying that it helps with the checkout process and 30% praising its efficiency.
Retail is catching up
The people have clearly spoken. Customers expect a high-tech experience, and stores have been quick to oblige. The global IoT market for retail was valued at over $42 billion in 2022, and is expected to grow by 28% a year between now and 2030.
Of course, upgrading your technology isn’t just about impressing customers. When used correctly, smart devices provide significant benefits for stores and their associates:
- GPS and motion tracking devices can improve supply chain efficiency by allowing stores to track deliveries with pinpoint accuracy
- RFID scanners can automatically tag products as they enter and leave the warehouse, giving you up to the minute information on stock levels
- Smart cameras can collect real time data on customer numbers and queue lengths, allowing stores to allocate associates where they are most needed
- Smart shelving can keep track of stock levels and expiry dates so that associates can restock at the opportune moment
This is only the beginning. For a glimpse of the future, we need look no further than Amazon Go. Using a combination of smart cameras, sensors and AI, these stores offer a checkout-free shopping experience. Customers simply take the items they want and the balance is deducted from their Amazon account.
Whether or not this catches on, one thing is certain. Smart technology will play a huge role in the future of retail. This is good news for associates, but there is a catch. More devices means more data, and this means more notifications and more distractions. Associates can’t spend all day checking devices, but ignoring them could mean missing a vital update. Luckily, there’s a better way.
One device to rule them all
Among its many innovative features, our Series 5 Pro headset comes equipped with a notification API. This can connect to thousands of smart devices, allowing associates to receive notifications from anywhere in store:
- Warehouse scanners can be linked to headsets, automatically notifying associates when a delivery arrives
- Smart shelving can notify associates when a product is running low, allowing you to restock before you miss out on sales
- Smart fridges can send a warning if a door is left open, allowing associates to step in before food is spoiled
- Smart cameras can send automated alerts to security associates, cutting response times to shoplifting and other crimes
- Cameras can warn associates when queues reach a certain length, giving you the chance to open another checkout before things get out of hand
As technology improves, so too will the capabilities of our headsets. Our API is designed for the future, giving you scope to connect to whatever devices emerge in years to come. We can’t predict the store of tomorrow, but we’re confident we can make it easier to manage.
Get in touch today to arrange a demonstration.