We’re thrilled to have announced the release of our Series 5 Pro headset at the end of April. We believe that it represents a huge leap forward in retail communication, and we can’t wait for you to try it.
The Series 5 Pro has been 20 years in the making. It hasn’t been an easy journey, but it’s one we’re glad we made. In this blog, we’ll take a closer look at this journey, and how it led us to our best headset yet.
The long road to Series 5 Pro
The capabilities of our headsets have always been limited by the constraints of modern technology. Our vision has been the same from the beginning- a wearable communication device that allows colleagues to communicate easily over long distances. We’ve just been waiting for reality to catch up.
This was a struggle at first. Batteries were large in size but small in capacity. Wireless technology was primitive. Our Series 1 model was a combined headset and belt pack- better than a walkie talkie, but hardly the sleek solution we had in mind.
Nevertheless, it was a good start. Over the next 20 years, we took the idea and ran with it. We released three more versions, each incorporating the latest in communication technology. With each improvement, we came one step closer to realising our vision:
- Series 2 was our first wireless headset. Smaller batteries allowed us to get rid of the belt pack and put everything in one place.
- Series 3 offered a much more rugged design. We also made ergonomic adjustments for improved comfort.
These were important changes, but Series 4 was the real leap forward. If Series 2 and 3 were evolutions, Series 4 was a revolution. Thanks to technological advancements, we were able to transform our product completely:
- A shorter microphone made headsets seem less intrusive
- A battery life of 48 hours allowed colleagues to wear headsets for an entire shift
- Three wearing styles offered maximum flexibility and comfort
- Better wireless technology meant that headsets could be configured remotely, and software could be updated “Over the Air”
- Over the air updates provided multi-language support, allowing headsets to be used in non English-speaking countries
- An online portal let users monitor the health of all headsets from a single location
We were immensely proud of Series 4, but it wasn’t perfect. Some technical limitations remained, leaving us no choice but to wait until the technology caught up. Luckily, we didn’t have to wait long.
A whole new world
If Series 4 was a revolution, Series 5 Pro is a whole new world. There are too many individual improvements to mention, but they can be boiled down to five key areas: Power, safety, discretion, ease of use and modularity:
- Power- There is always a balance to be struck between processing power and power consumption. For Series 5 Pro, we’ve deployed a new chipset to shift things in our favour. Headsets can process and analyse data faster without using additional power, letting us optimise performance without sacrificing battery life.
- Safety- One of the biggest advances in recent years has been a huge jump in the capabilities of silicone. Among its many wonderful properties, this new silicone allows for far greater encryption of data. Since our teams communicate over broadcast radio, high quality encryption is essential for keeping our customers safe. The Series 5 Pro offers multiple high levels of encryption to ensure that nobody can eavesdrop.
- Discretion- A common complaint about our early headsets was that they felt intrusive. The long microphone boom was creating a psychological barrier, making customers hesitant to interrupt and ask for help. The Series 4 went a long way to rectifying this, and the Series 5 Pro goes even further. Thanks to advances in digital signalling and noise cancelling technologies, we’ve been able to shorten the microphone significantly without sacrificing clarity. It is now all but invisible, making colleagues seem far more approachable.
- Ease of use- One of the big breakthroughs in Series 4 was the introduction of a more ergonomic Push to Talk (PTT) button. The size of the button made it easy to start conversations, while its location reduced the risk of starting a conversation by accident. With the Series 5 Pro, we’ve leaned into this further. The front face now uses a single large button giving a supremely uncluttered look and making use of the headset simpler than ever, even for users with gloved hands.
- Modularity- We didn’t just want the Series 5 Pro to be on the cutting edge- we wanted to make sure it stayed there. That’s why we designed it to be completely modular. Everything from the battery to the push buttons can be replaced, extending the headset’s lifespan and reducing the total cost of ownership. If new technology becomes available, it can be incorporated into the existing model. Not only does this save you money, it also reduces your environmental impact.
This is just a taste of what the Series 5 Pro has to offer. In the coming weeks, we’ll be taking a closer look at its features, and how they can help you to provide a world-beating customer experience. Watch this space for more details, or get in touch to book a demonstration.