At VoCoVo, we believe in practising what we preach. We want to create a pleasant working environment for retail colleagues, so it’s important that we do the same for our own team. Since we launched in 2016, we’ve done everything we can to make our employees feel secure and happy in their jobs. Now it seems that our hard work has paid off.
We’re thrilled to announce that we’ve been included in the latest Best Companies league table, placing at number 37 on the list of best small companies to work for, and third overall in the telecoms sector. This is a great honour, and a testament to the hard work of our team. To celebrate, we thought we’d take you behind the scenes and show you why VoCoVo is such a great place to work.
“An accolade like no other”
The Best Companies league table is a great indicator of workplace satisfaction. Placements are based on an in-depth colleague survey that covers all aspects of the working environment. Respondents are not just asked about the specifics of their jobs, but about personal growth opportunities, managerial support and extracurricular activities.
Because the questions are so varied, a high score is only possible if a company goes above and beyond for its employees. In the words of Best Companies:
“Being named one of the UK’s Best Companies to Work For is an accolade like no other. It recognises your commitment to your employees and demonstrates that you see workplace engagement as a vital part of your organisation’s success.”
The results are in
It’s great to be included in the league table, but the real joy for us was seeing the results of the survey. We try to take a holistic approach to employee care, and it’s rewarding to see that this is working:
- 90% said that VoCoVo encouraged charitable activities
- 86% of colleagues believe they can make a valuable contribution to the success of the business
- 80% felt that other team members went out of their way to help them
As People Director Sarah Stevens explains, this is exactly what we were aiming for:
“We want to provide a place where our employees can be the best version of themselves, working in a role that truly fulfils and challenges them.”
How did we do it?
One of the judgement criteria for the Best Companies league table is the range of employee benefits offered by a company. We scored highly here, gaining a special mention in four categories:
- Providing maternity leave of at least ten weeks with full pay
- Offering private health insurance to employees
- Having at least 40% of senior management positions filled by women
- Providing a generous pension package
As well as these large-scale benefits, the judges also singled out some of our more targeted initiatives. These include:
- Creating the VoCoVoice panel, a forum that consults employees about their concerns and passes them on to management.
- Holding regular town hall sessions in which senior decision makers can update employees on the latest news, and employees can ask questions publicly
- Creating a process for employees to speak to management in private if they do not wish to raise concerns in a public setting
- Holding virtual coffee morning and quizzes to help remote employees feel part of the team
- Raising over £10,000 for local causes, including a day spent volunteering for a conservation project
These are just some of the ways in which we’ve created a supportive workplace for our team. We will continue to build on these strategies, listening to employees every step of the way. Maybe we’ll climb even higher in the next league table!
To find out more about working for VoCoVo, or for information on our products, don’t hesitate to get in touch.