Last week, we kicked off the year in style by attending NRF’s Big Show 2024. Over the course of three days in New York, we shared stories, forged friendships and gained insights from some of the industry’s leading experts. We returned to the UK full of ideas, and excited about the role we can play in the next phase of retail.
We’ll give you a full rundown of the event next week, but first we wanted to share some initial thoughts. This year’s slogan was “Make it matter in 2024”, and the focus was squarely on going the extra mile. As you can imagine, this was music to our ears. We’re all about creating an unbeatable in-store experience, even in the face of challenging conditions. Here are three ways we can help you to make it matter in 2024.
Experience matters more than ever
Retail has faced a tough few years, but there are signs of hope on the horizon. Inflation is expected to fall to 2.4%, bringing with it an increase in consumer confidence. However, with food and energy prices set to remain high, shoppers will still be wary of overspending.
This creates a challenge for stores, but also an opportunity. Consumers will be in a better position to spend money, but only if retailers give them a good reason to do so. In order to attract these shoppers, you’ll need to pull out all the stops- offering not only the best prices, but also the best customer experience. This won’t be easy, but we can help.
1. Reduce unnecessary walking
Whether it’s crossing the store to find information for a customer or visiting the stockroom to check on a product, excessive walking can be extremely time consuming. Retail associates regularly exceed 10,000 steps a day, leading to longer waiting times for customers and decreased productivity among tired associates. The solution is simple- cut out the walking so that associates can get more done:
- Our headsets allow associates to communicate instantly from anywhere in the store. If a customer needs information, associates can ask another team member without having to track them down. If there’s a query about stock levels, an associate can speak to someone in the stockroom without having to walk there.
- Wearing a headset saves the average associate 1600 yards of walking per shift, keeping energy levels up and allowing more time to focus on helping customers.
- This translates into a financial saving of around $400 a week per store, or an annual saving of over $20,000. These savings can be passed onto customers in the form of lower prices.
2. Unlock the power of multitasking
Thanks to their hands-free design, our headsets allow associates to perform multiple tasks at once. Associates can answer queries and take external phone calls while continuing to perform manual tasks such as replenishing shelves. This improves task efficiency by an average of 105 minutes a day.
Once again, this has both financial and practical advantages. As well as saving the average store $140 a week, easier multitasking is great for the customer experience. Customers can ask questions and receive immediate answers, all without worrying that they are interrupting associates’ work.
3. Crack down on crime
Shoplifting is a growing problem in US stores. Theft has almost doubled in the last five years, costing retailers $112 billion in 2023. These losses have forced stores to raise their prices, while an increase in violent theft has left associates and shoppers feeling profoundly unsafe.
Customers and associates deserve better than this. By improving communication on the shop floor, we can help you to turn the tables on the criminals:
- Our headsets allow constant communication between floor associates and security teams. If an associate spots something suspicious, they can report it immediately.
- Smart CCTV cameras can be linked to headsets using our notification API. This lets them automatically alert associates to crimes in progress.
- Smart shelving can warn associates of suspicious stock depletion, allowing them to investigate promptly.
- Headsets act as a visible deterrent. Shoplifters can see that associates are in touch with security, and this makes them less likely to steal.
Cracking down on crime is a win-win. Financial losses are reduced, as is the risk of in-store violence. This allows you to keep prices low while creating a safe and welcoming environment for your customers.
These are just a few of the ways we can help you to deliver the magic combination of low prices and great customer service . For more tips tailored to your store, don’t hesitate to give us a call.