Smart technology has a lot to offer, but only if it’s used correctly. Before you upgrade your technology, it’s important to consult the people it’s supposed to benefit. Luckily, we’ve done that part for you!
We’ve just carried out our biggest ever survey of retail associates and senior decision makers. We spoke to over 1200 people across the UK, the North America and Europe to find out exactly how the industry feels about smart technology.
The results were fascinating. Most importantly, they showed that head office and the shop floor are not always on the same page when it comes to technology. In this blog, we’ll take a closer look at why this is, and what you can do to make things better.
The smart revolution is here
We knew that smart technology was on the rise, but the results of our survey still took us by surprise. It seems that many stores have undergone a complete transformation in recent years:
- 45% of retail associates now use smart technology at least twice a day
- 71% of North American decision makers are planning to implement more smart technology in the next 12 months
New technology is all well and good, but decision makers mustn’t lose sight of its purpose. Smart devices are supposed to make life easier for associates. If they’re not fulfilling this brief, they are not being used correctly.
Don’t lose touch with the shop floor
As a decision maker, it can be difficult to get an accurate picture of life on the shop floor. Even if you ask associates for their feedback, there is always the risk that they are only telling you what you want to hear. This is where our survey data proves invaluable. We asked both groups for an honest appraisal of smart technology, and the results were illuminating:
- Decision makers have a lot of confidence in smart technology. 80% believe that it is being used to its full potential, and 79% believe that associates have sufficient training to use it effectively.
- Sadly, these feelings are not always shared by associates. While 45% believe that smart technology makes their jobs easier, 30% believe that they haven’t received enough training to use these devices. Most concerning of all, 41% think that head office doesn’t take their needs into account when choosing smart technology.
Be smart about smart technology
These results paint a worrying picture. It seems that decision makers are keen to implement smart technology, but are doing so without the input of associates. If this isn’t addressed promptly, associates may become permanently disillusioned with smart technology.
Luckily, there’s still time to turn things around. With our help, you can upgrade your store without leaving associates behind:
- Senior associates can use headsets to provide hands-on smart device training. This is far more effective than trying to demonstrate smart devices in a classroom setting.
- Headsets also allow senior team members to provide informal refresher training. If an associate has a question about a smart device, they can contact an experienced team member directly without having to track them down. Our full-duplex technology allows for natural two-way conversations, making it less daunting to ask for help.
- VoCoVo allows you to create multiple conferences on a single channel. You can set up a conference purely for smart device questions, making it easy for associates to get the information they need.
- Our headsets can be linked to other smart devices via our API. This allows devices to send notifications directly to associates. By allowing associates to access all smart notifications in one place, VoCoVo reduces the risk of associates being overwhelmed with information.
Smart devices are the future, but so are the associates who use them. By listening to their feedback, you can find a solution that works for everyone. Download our latest report to find out more.